Teen Writers Fellow Award
Become a Laura (Riding) Jackson Teen Writers Fellow!
The Laura (Riding) Jackson Teen Writers Fellow is a prestigious award that recognizes students who demonstrate dedication and commitment to the development of their literary skills and talents. To become a Teen Writers Fellow, a student is required to attend three official Teen Writers Workshops sponsored by the Laura (Riding) Jackson Foundation and submit an original writing sample that fulfills the following criteria:
- The writing sample must be an original, creative piece initially inspired by the student’s participation in a Teen Writers Workshop. Poems, short stories, personal narratives or essays, graphic novels, plays, song lyrics, and creative non-fiction pieces are all acceptable.
- Prose samples should be 500-1,000 words; poetry submission should be either one long poem or three shorter poems totaling 500-1,000 words.
- Research papers or other school assignments will not be accepted.
- Submissions will include an introductory paragraph explaining the inspiration for the piece as well as some brief commentary on the writing process involved.
- The submission must be a polished final draft, double spaced in 12 point font, submitted in a Word document format that is suitable for publication on the LRJ website.
- Writing samples and introductory paragraphs may be usbmitted at a Teen Writers Workshop, or via email to email@example.com, or by mail to The Laura (Riding) Jackson Foundation, PO Box 643786, Vero Beach, FL, 32964
- Seniors who complete the Fellowship before November will receive their Fellows Awards earlier so they may be include the recognition in their college applications.
Teen Writers Fellows will be formally recognized with award certificates at the LRJ Poetry Barbeque. They will also have the opportunity to read their work to the audience and the option to publish their work on the LRJ website.